Arnold Clark is one of the largest car dealer groups in Europe. It all started with just one showroom – opened in Glasgow, back in 1954. However, don’t be fooled by the fact we sell cars. Our business is changing to meet the needs of today’s customer and our digital team is central to our success.
As a Software Engineer at Arnold Clark, you will be key to achieving our vision of creating market-leading digital products that will put us at the forefront of retailing. Placing our customers at the heart of everything we do, you will transform their experience and drive our business forward. This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in some exciting and high-profile projects, working alongside a team of genuinely talented and passionate people who are focused on doing things "the right way". We're looking for individuals who are excited by the prospect of working every day on challenging problems, while collaborating and exchanging knowledge with other members of the team.
- Suggesting and making improvements to our internal processes.
- Working with a multi-skilled team to produce high-quality solutions.
- Carrying out analysis, design and development (Progress/OpenEdge 4GL/ABL) to a high standard.
- Unit testing of Progress OpenEdge 4GL/ABL code.
- Developing enterprise level applications.
- Helping to maintain automation and security processes and practices.
- Participating in team ceremonies (such as stand ups and retros).
- Communicating and collaborating well within the team.
- Database management
- Good problem-solving skills.
Key skills that will benefit you
Arnold Clark Digital is an exciting and fast-paced environment where we create amazing products. We are looking for people who are ambitious, dynamic and driven to succeed. Some of the skills outlined below will really help you hit the ground running with us:
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational, and influencing skills.
- Experience and an understanding of Agile methodologies and practices.
- Familiarity with traditional and Agile software development practices (releasing early and often, improving feedback and running retrospectives).
- Ability to develop technical practices such as pair programming, collective code ownership and continuous delivery.
- Experienced at planning with a good track record of successful software deliveries.
- Goal-driven with great communication skills and the ability to work well as part of a team.
Additionally, while not essential, we think the following experience would be a bonus:
- Experience and understanding of DevOps practices, such as continuous integration
- Openedge V12 pasoe experience
- Experience with development tools such as PDSOE, Eclipse, GIT, CI/CD tools, Ant scripting
- Object-orientated programming
What you can expect from us
Arnold Clark is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create an environment where collaboration, unique perspectives and multiple approaches are celebrated. We care about our employees and our communities, we nurture talent and encourage ambition, and we are passionate about people who take pride in their work. Our employees are at the heart of everything we do - diverse in our make-up, united in our goals. To that end, we offer an exciting package which includes:
- Highly competitive salary
- Flexible hybrid working – work from home or the office whichever suits you most
- Training and conference funds to keep your skills current
- Private medical insurance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Discounts on vehicle purchases, services, parts, rentals, insurance and more
To find out more about life at Arnold Clark, visit our Life at Arnold Clark website.