We’re looking for an experienced Small Works Health and Safety Advisor to join our Safety Support team and ensure safe working conditions for construction and facilities-related work across our sites.
What we offer:
- Admin day carried out at nearest AC branch to your home (one admin day per week)
- 33 days’ annual leave
- Private healthcare
- Life assurance
- Generous retail discounts
- Maternity and paternity packages
This is a full-time position: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm (and emergencies as required)
About the role
As a Small Works Health and Safety Advisor, you’ll be responsible for overseeing health and safety standards in relation to contractor work and engagement from branch permits to construction-related projects.
It will be your role to make sure that any construction and maintenance activities – such as new builds, refurbishment and pre-planned or emergency maintenance and other small works projects – are fully compliant with legal requirements and industry health and safety best practice. Extensive travel is required, as is previous experience relevant to the role.
If you don’t enjoy sitting a desk all day and are looking for a job where no two days are the same, then this may be the role for you.
- Spot checks on permits issued during branch pre-planned maintenance and repairs.
- Attending pre-start and safety meetings for construction projects.
- Reviewing risk assessments, SSOW, policies and construction phase plans and procedures from contractors.
- Carrying out data analysis to identify trends and areas of improvement.
- Being able to problem solve and offer solutions to prevent incidents or improve safety standards.
- Liaising with enforcing authorities, as well as the Estates department, branch staff and management and third-party contractors.
- Writing reports, including during any live inspections, using a tablet device.
- Carrying out site inspections, observations and recommendations.
- Pre-qualification vetting for new contractors or those under review.
This role may also include accident and near-miss investigations and inspection visits to branches. You may also be expected to offer support and guidance on health and safety matters for holiday or absence cover, so a good general understanding of health and safety is required.
- SMSTS with experience of construction sites and/or NEBOSH in Construction Health and Safety or extensive experience in a similar field
- CSCS card holder
- A strong understanding of CDM2015
- Good attention to detail and high levels of accuracy
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Knowledge of current health and safety legislation and best practice
- Willingness to travel to various branches in England and Scotland
- A full UK driving licence
Nice to have but not essential
- Asbestos UKATA/BOHS
Arnold Clark is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create an environment where collaboration, unique perspectives and multiple approaches are celebrated. We care about our employees and our communities, we nurture talent and encourage ambition, and we are passionate about people who take pride in their work. Our employees are at the heart of everything we do – diverse in our make-up, united in our goals.
To find out more about Life at Arnold Clark, visit our website.
Employment within the Arnold Clark Group is offered subject to satisfactory reference and disclosure check.